Monday, February 13, 2017

Legos

Spencer received a Lego Creator set for Christmas.  It came with instructions for building a jeep, a boat, and a helicopter.  He is really too young to put them together by himself, so I have built these three things with him.  And I discovered that I really liked it!  It was like a puzzle to me.  Sort of.  A puzzle with detailed instructions of every step.  So not quite the same thing, but it gave me the same sort of satisfaction.  James and I were talking about Spencer's legos the other day and he mentioned that he had tried to help Spencer put the jeep together on Christmas day, but had quickly lost interest.  He would much rather have had our tub of random lego pieces to work with and be able to come up with his own design.  He is definitely an engineer.  I am definitely not.  I do not know what to do with random legos and don't like trying to come up with something. 

Spencer likes doing both things!  He likes following the instructions and watching the legos turn into what they are supposed to turn into.  "It's starting to look like a jeep!"  But he also really enjoys making his own space ships and cars and people even, and is quite creative.  He gets a little frustrated with his limitations sometimes.  He wanted to draw a particular picture that he had in mind yesterday, but couldn't get it to come out right, and was pretty upset.  Legos are a better medium for him right now, but he has ideas; things he wants to create.  I wonder what he will be?

No comments: