Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday's Fix-up: my cheap idea almost worked

My bathroom has absolutely no decorations. None! It doesn't even have a nice shower curtain, just a very bland cream colored plastic one. The closest thing to any type of decoration is the light fixture. It has yellow roses. So I thought I'd go with that theme. I like yellow bathrooms.
Last week I found a flat sheet at a thrift store with yellow roses on it that match the light fixture almost exactly. It cost $1.27.

So I planned to make it into a nice shower curtain to cover up the bland plastic one. It was going to be so beautiful! And then I washed and dried it...........with a blue crayon!!!

Aaaagghhh!!! I have know idea how that silly crayon could have gotten into that particular load of laundry! I know, I know, I have five children. I should know by now that I need to check for crayons and other strange things in the laundry. But I didn't, and there went my beautiful shower curtain. So I moved on to the rest of my plan. The sheet was bigger than the shower curtain so I planned to use the extra on this empty wall space like Vanessa of V and Co. does.

That part turned out nice. It is in the bathroom with very crummy lighting, so you'll just have to trust me that the wall looks way better now.

Again, I found the hoops at a thrift store. Quite a while ago, though. The larger one cost 49 cents and the smaller ones cost 19 cents. Like I said, cheap! I think I'll have to keep checking for another sheet with yellow roses. I still would like to give my idea a try.

edited to add: I need to do some more clearing out of stuff. So for next week my goal is to get rid of one box of stuff from my laundry/sewing room.

If you have a fix-up to share, leave a comment telling about it or with a link to your own blog post. For some reason, I can't get Mr. Linky to work at the moment. As soon as I can I'll add it to this post.

7 comments:

nanajohanna said...

I love what you did with the hoops. And I'll be on the lookout for a sheet like the one you had. I go to DI at least once a week, I'm sure I can find one. You're amazing! Love you.

Autumn said...

So sorry to see what happened with the sheet and blue crayon! I'll keep my eyes out for something along those lines as well, like your mom offered to do.

Everything seems like it is coming along nicely! Great job!

Lynsey said...

I love what you did to the bathroom! Sorry to see what happened to your sheet.:( I meant to do a fix up this week, but my week got away from me. I will make up for it next week.

Cathie said...

Here is my Friday Fix Up, Part I. http://cjhaab.blogspot.com/2009/09/friday-fix-up.html

Sorry about your crayon incident! How disappointing that must be. But the roses in the hoops look nice - hope you can find some more fabric or sheets to use later. Probably you'll find something even better!

Look here and sign up for a 100th post give-away:

http://laurasbirdnest.blogspot.com/2009/09/100th-post-give-away.html

LoraBelieves said...

Darn. Your sheet looked like it would match up so perfectly. I once accidentally washed and dried a load of white clothes with a black crayon. It wasn't pretty. Cute idea with the hoops! Way to save.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Bummer.

I like your light fixture, its nostalgic for me.

Luv 2 Kreate said...

Great idea! Very cleaver :)