Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Transformation

Wordfull Wednesday is back. Visit Chocolate On My Cranium to read more.





As a kid I never made my bed. Well, I did make it when I absolutely had to. But most of the time I managed to leave it fairly messy. There were always lots of books, some clothes, my favorite stuffed animals, and whatever else I thought needed to be there as well. Somehow I always left a space just big enough for me to sleep in. Even when I got older, went to college, and even got married, I still didn't see the need to make my bed. It wasn't full of stuff anymore, but I was quite content to leave the blankets in a rumpled heap. This was a bit frustrating to my husband, I think, but he patiently put up with me.

I'm happy to say that I am now a faithful bed maker. I not only make my bed everyday, I really enjoy having a nicely made bed. When I look back, I can't really see when I started to change my very poor bed making habits into good habits. I can only see the improvement. Hooray!

Developing the habit of making my bed doesn't seem like such a bid deal, but it really is. Because I have been able to change myself, in this small way, I know that I can change and improve myself in other even bigger ways. I am in my 30's now and I'm really enjoying being able to look back and see some improvements in myself. I can see that I still have a long way to go, but I am grateful for the experience I have that tells me I will continue to grow and improve.

7 comments:

Julie Lybbert said...

I'm grateful for experience and improvements as well. I love your post!

Montserrat said...

Isn't it funny how little habits can make such a difference? My oldest memorized a poem about habits when she was about 6. She drove us all nuts quoting from it every day whenever we'd do something 'not right.' So glad she doesn't do that anymore!

Becky said...

I confess I am still not a bedmaker. ;)
But I do like your thoughts on good habit making. They are much easier to make than break...

Esther said...

I completly agree...it is a big deal. I can't believe how differently I feel walking into my room when things are all made up...like a little pat on the back, or nudge of encourgement to keep going. You said it well!

kjha said...

It's great to have an attitude of can do!

an encourager said...

Clap, clap, clapping for your improvement!!! Truly, I know how those small changes for the better make us feel. It's a wonderful, hopeful feeling, and I am happy you are experiencing it! yahoooo!

Chaney said...

I LOVE a made bed! I love getting in a made bed. I even ask Stuart when I'm not home if he's made the bed. Okay that one is a little OCD, but I really like a made bed. It makes me feel good!

Aimee, I liked your post. You should have included your fix-up Fridays. You do so much that is changing your life and your family's lives!