Monday, March 6, 2017

I Finished!

On Saturday I actually ran in the Snake River Canyon Half Marathon.  I finished in 2 hours and 19 minutes.  I have to say "actually" because I am still a little surprised that I really did it.  Running is out of character for me, or at least was for most of my life, but a half marathon!  I did it!!  I'm still really excited about this.  And I did it much faster than I was expecting.  I was guessing it would take me around 2 hours and 45 minutes.  Ha! 


Here I am, crossing the finish line.
I really don't like this picture very much, but I do want to remember this. 

It was drizzling when we started, and then raining, then pouring by the time I got to mile 5.  At mile 6 there were some huge snow flakes starting to mix in with the rain.  The snow only lasted for a couple of miles, then it was back to rain and I think the rain completely stopped about the time I got to mile 10 or so. 

I felt pretty good for the first two miles, then not so confidant for a while.  Around mile 5 I started seeing runners on their way back to the finish and that gave me a boost.  I saw Cecily about mile 6 I think.  And there was a lot of energy at the halfway point.  I got there after one hour and 4 minutes.  That was awesome and I suddenly felt like I really was going to finish and be faster than I had expected.  Miles 8-10 were the hardest.  I was slower and didn't have as much energy.  And the end was still so far away!  Things got better at mile 11, though.  Then it wasn't long till the finish!

I have been sore since Saturday, but finally starting to feel a little better.  Whew!  Also so glad it is done!

Oh!  And no shin splints!  Not even a hint!  It was amazing!!!

No comments: