Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shirttails

Today we had to go to the grocery store. Not my favorite thing to do. But it was nice to get out of the house on a sunny 45 degree day after lots and lots of cold foggy days. The girls are really pretty good about staying close to me, however sometimes they end up walking behind me and then I can't see them and don't know what they are doing. That makes me a little nervous. Sometimes though, when they get behind me, they will grab onto the bottom of my shirt and just hang on as we walk around the store. I LOVE this. Then I know right where they are and know that they can't be doing something they shouldn't if one hand is holding tightly to me.

They do this on Sundays too. As we are walking through the crowded hallways my arms and hands are always full of baby, bags, books, papers, etc., and I have no extra hands to hold hands with my younger children to make sure they are coming with me. So they grab onto my skirt and down the hall we go. I really like knowing where they are, but also really love having them so close to me. Somehow that little grip on my shirt or my skirt is very comforting.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That is so sweet. You guys remind me of Make Way for Ducklings. You venture out to various places that you have to go trusting that your little ones will follow safely behind you. You are not crossing a street or anything, but still very similar. I bet that those little tugs at your shirt tug at your heart strings as well. They would mine.

nanajohanna said...

So well put Heidi. Yes, I remember doing similar things to keep track of you two and the other three.