Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Visit from the Stomach Bug

Considering the title, this might sound a little strange, but I had a really wonderful weekend.  I felt like it was some of the highest quality time we've had as a family in quite a while.  We spent Friday and Saturday nights at Mr. Wonderful's grandparents' home. It is always so good to visit them. 

We had a good drive (5.5 hours) to Grandma and Grandpa's house.  The kids got along great!  We all enjoyed a very nice day together on Saturday and happily went to bed that night.  I was peacefully sleeping when Mr. W woke me up very, very early on Sunday morning (about 1:30) saying "What was that?"  Kiddo was throwing up.  In the middle of Grandma's kitchen floor.  He had been sleeping on her carpeted livingroom floor so we heartily congratulated him for making it to the kitchen.  We got him and the floor all cleaned up, found an empty ice cream bucket, and sent him back to his sleeping bag after moving it away from the other kids.  We went back to bed hoping it was just something he ate.  I always hope that.

One hour later we heard more strange sounds.  This time it was Miss Monkey.  I won't go into all the details this time.  Let me just say that once again, Grandma's carpet was spared.  Such a relief!

After getting back in bed yet again, Mr. Wonderful and I had a hard time going to sleep.  We would both jump up at the slightest moan or sound of movement from the kids.  We were wide awake.  So we talked.  For almost two hours.  We talked about so many different things.  It was wonderful! 

The next day Miss Banana asked me why we have to get sick.  I told her that it's just part of life.  But, I've been thinking about that question and our weekend experience.  If the kids had not been sick, Mr. Wonderful and I would not have had the sweet, peaceful time to ourselves that we enjoyed so much.  We worked together and worried together.  And were brought closer together because of that. 

I'm starting to realize that quality time does not mean perfect time.  And really, why should it be?  Life is not perfect.  Why should I expect quality time to be so far out of my reach that it hardly ever happens?  It is not out of my reach at all.  It is right there in front of me and all I have to do is grab onto it.    

The stomach bug turned out to be pretty mild and only Kiddo, Miss Monkey, and Little Man ever got sick.  Another blessing.  Yes, I really did have a wonderful weekend.

6 comments:

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I am so sorry to hear that your littles have been sick. No fun at all. I'm glad you had a nice weekend in spite of it though!

Julia said...

Love the thoughts on quality time... so very true. Thank you for sharing.

Lynsey said...

I love that you and Mr. W enjoyed your quality time while you had it. So sorry that the kids were sick but I hope that you are feeling better.

Chaney said...

Sorry they were sick! Yay for Grandma's carpet and for quality time! Laying in bed talking to Staurt is one of my favorite things to do!

Judi said...

Oh no my least favorite way for my kids to be sick - vomiting!

So true about quality time being right in front of us. I need to remember this more often!

Hope everyone is on the mend!

nanajohanna said...

I'm so glad you were able to make a great experience come from a hard situation. I hope everyone is all better now. Love you!